openjpa-users mailing list archives

From "Meyer, Tobias" <tobias.me...@capgemini.com>
Subject How to avoid ALTER SEQUENCE statement?
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 13:54:08 GMT
Hi,

we’re using OpenJPA 2.2.2 in WebSphere 8.5 and are faced with the following problem with
the way OpenJPA handles native sequences.

Our Entities have IDs defined like this:
@Id
@SequenceGenerator(name = "MY_OID_SEQ", schema = "MY", sequenceName = "OID_SEQ", allocationSize
= 1000)
@GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.SEQUENCE, generator = "MY_OID_SEQ")
@Column(name = "OID")
private long oid;

OpenJPA’s NativeJDBCSeq class seems to have no trust in the developers using native sequences
and issues an “ALTER SEQUENCE MY.OID_SEQ INCREMENT BY 1000” statement the first time an
object gets persisted/inserted.
This happens regardless of the fact that the sequence is already correctly defined.

Now the problem is that (of course) the application doesn’t have the rights to alter neither
tables nor sequences, so the statement fails and the transaction rolls back (i.e. our object
will not be persisted).
AND OpenJPA disables the caching of IDs completely resulting in massive performance issues
when persisting large amounts of objects.

1. Giving the application the right to alter sequences is not an option, so how can we avoid
that OpenJPA issues the ALTER SEQUENCE statement???
2. For further releases: PLEASE enable the developer to disable this easily, by setting a
configuration value or something like that. And don’t issue an ALTER SEQUENCE statement
if the sequence doesn’t need to be altered!

Thanks for your help,
Tobias

Tobias Meyer
Custom Solution Development | Application Services

Capgemini | Hamburg
Phone: +4940254491291 – Mobile: +4915140250554
e-mail: tobias.meyer@capgemini.com
www.de.capgemini.com

Luebecker Strasse 128, D-22087 Hamburg, Germany
People matter, results count.

Firma: Capgemini Deutschland GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Schulte (Sprecher) • Dr. Uwe Dumslaff • Josef Ranner
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Antonio Schnieder
Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg, HRB 98814
are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate,