openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenJPA support for JPA 2.1: when?
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:27:59 GMT
Hi Matthew,
I greatly appreciate your insights.  And, I'm 100% behind you on this.
OpenJPA has a great, large set of users.  We get feedback from all facets
of the industry and we try to respond to the best of our ability.  Like the
squeaky wheel, we pay the most attention to those areas requesting
attention.  As you've seen, I have tried to generate and gauge interest in
JPA 2.1.  Mark has expressed some interest and, of course, Pinaki has.
And, now your note is the strongest worded request for JPA 2.1.  So, it's
great to hear that there's finally some interest.

This is totally different from the JPA 2.0 effort.  When that one was
discussed on the OpenJPA forums, there was much more interest from a
development perspective with several individuals and teams stepping up --
coding, testing, id, promotion, etc.  For whatever reason, the interest in
JPA 2.1 is not as strong.  Since most of us have "day jobs" in addition to
contributing to open-source, we have to pick what areas to focus on.

If there is interest in kicking off a real development effort, then we
should probably move this conversation to the dev mailing list and get the
development community fired up.

Anybody else have input?

Kevin