openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Henno Vermeulen <he...@huizemolenaar.nl>
Subject repeatable autogenerate names for key constraints
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:27:35 GMT
When I let OpenJPA generate my database schema on sql server, the generated foreign keys have
names such as

PK__booking___3213E83F5626D20A
FK__booking_A__ACTIV__6E886B80

When I later generate the schema again I get different names, e.g.

PK__booking___3213E83F7C97F46A
FK__booking_A__EVENT__1311456E

I use a database schema comparison tool to create a migration script for a newer version of
my application. Because of the different names it lists very many changes that are not really
changes at all.

Is it possible to let OpenJPA automatically generate the same names for the same primary/foreign
keys? Perhaps it is possible to override the default strategy with a few lines of Java code?
Is there another approach you can suggest?

All of my entities inherit an autogenerated primary key from a single mapped superclass.

PS. I know of the @ForeignKey annotation but it has a few drawbacks:

-          adds unnecessary boilerplate code (name can be autogenerated without numbers) that
takes time to maintain.

-          Not sure if it works for mappings such as element collections and Maps

-          Obviously won't work for primary keys, especially not if it is defined in one place
in a mapped superclass