openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the inverse of "lazy fetching"?
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2013 21:35:07 GMT
On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Chris Wolf <cwolf.algo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I think I have it all straight now and I really appreciate you
> hanging in there to answer my questions.  In closing, I'll make some
> remarks, which are not time-critical to answer, since your answers
> have already provided all I need to proceed.  However:
>
> 1.) You said the DelayCollectionLoading was relatively new - so what
> would people do in the scenario of one-to-many (or m-2-m)
>     and having huge numbers of child entities, before this feature was
> introduced?

Why do you think we introduced this feature?  :-)  Seriously, this was a
concern.  If a one-to-many collection had a ton of elements, you better
hope they were running on a 64bit jvm and had plenty of memory...

> 2.) What do other OR mapping providers do?  e.g. Hibernate or Datanucleus
> JDO?

I believe Hibernate has similar functionality.  I have no idea if
Datanucleus does or not.