openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Weidele <daniel.weid...@uni-konstanz.de>
Subject Re: OpenJPA
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2012 17:40:30 GMT
Hello Kevin,

thanks for the @Embeddable annotation. However, I reviewed MySQL status and
it seems their spatial extension does not yet support a "distance()"
function. It looks like I have to contribute there, before contributing
here - because especially the "distance" function would be something I need
:-(

Nevertheless, as you already mentioned - to provide full-feature support I
would as well say that @Embeddable is not enough. Of course modeling the
Geo-structures itself has to be done wisely - but my feeling is that the
more tricky part is teaching JPQL / Criteria API the geometry functions.
Until now I would not know where to start, as I have not that much insight.
I'd assume to have to provide some knowledge within a MySQL dictionary to
OpenJPA and then translate the "user" input (either from Criteria API, or
JPQL) - such that we have a generic language which is then translated into
MySQL syntax.

Is this a "mental model" that fits the actual implementation mechanism,
somehow? Or am I totally wrong with the assumption - if not - do you know
some of the entry points which will be of interest?

Best,
Daniel