openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Bengt Rodehav <be...@rodehav.com>
Subject Problems with SQLServer VARCHAR(MAX)
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:17:31 GMT
I'm using OpenJPA 2.1.1 with Microsoft SQLServer 2005.
In one of my entities I have a field that can potentially be quite large
(it represents an incoming XML message). I therefore store it in a column
defined as "VARCHAR(MAX)". This possibility was introduced in SQLServer
2005 and allows storing strings up to 2GB in size.

I annotate my field as follows:

*...*
*  @Column(columnDefinition = "VARCHAR(MAX)")*
*  private String originalEntry;*
*...*

The column is created with the correct type by OpenJPA. However, I get the
following warning in my logs:

*18078  lafaPU  WARN   [Camel (LAFA) thread #1 - file://~dp0/../../..*
*/common/data/interfaces/sample/lafa] openjpa.jdbc.Schema - Existing column
"originalEntry" on table "dbo.LafaEntry" is incompatible with the same
column in thegiven schema definition.*
*Existing column:*
*Full Name: LafaEntry.originalEntry*
*Type: longvarchar*
*Size: 2147483647*
*Default: null*
*Not Null: false*
*Given column:*
*Full Name: LafaEntry.originalEntry*
*Type: varchar*
*Size: 255*
*Default: null*
*Not Null: false*

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can get rid of the
warnings? Is SQLServer 2005 supported by OpenJPA?

BTW, the warnings don't seem to be saved in my log files - they only appear
on stdout. Doesn't seem right to me.

/Bengt