openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Will OpenJPA 2.1.x ever be incorporated into a WAS7 feature pack?
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:01:43 GMT
Hi Ron,
The WebSphere JPA documentation relies on the Apache OpenJPA documentation
(and the JPA specification itself) for much of the documentation.  We
didn't want to repeat (and maintain) all of the information that was
already available.

But, what is documented in the WebSphere InfoCenter are the extensions and
features that WebSphere provides beyond the basic Apache OpenJPA
deliverable.  These WebSphere features are built on top of the Apache
OpenJPA binaries.  So, anything that is written against Apache OpenJPA will
function as is when running within WebSphere.  The added benefit is that
you can also take advantage of the WebSphere extensions such as DB2
features, pureQuery, NLS translated messages, extended debugging
capabilities, etc.

Here's a link to the InfoCenter for the OSGi/JPA 2.0 Feature Pack:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/fep/topic/com.ibm.websphere.jpafep.multiplatform.doc/info/ae/ae/tjpa2_ep.html

To get to your first question...  Each Apache OpenJPA service stream
(branch) has an owner or manager.  This manager determines which fixes are
allowed into a given stream.  New development (whiz-bang features) are
normally developed in trunk, not one of the service streams.  But, there
have been occasions where a new feature is requested in a service stream.
Each request is processed separately -- that is, there is no cut-and-dried
rules as to when or if a feature is allowed into a service stream.

Welcome to WebSphere's JPA solution based on Apache OpenJPA!  I hope your
experience is a positive one.  :-)

Kevin