openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Can openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses=supported try harder to enhance when used within an app server?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:34:13 GMT
I've just recently started using OpenJPA and from a new user perspective I interpreted "openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses=supported"
to mean first check if the code is running within an app server and let the app server enhance
the classes *then* fallback and actually do a runtime enhancement. It turns
out "supported" may be better described as "true" in that it only makes one enhancement attempt
then fails. I can successfully use "supported" when running my small JPA project not in an
app server but when I put it on an app server I need to create my emf in a slightly different
manner:

if (isWebSphere()) {
 Map<String, String> configOverrides = new HashMap<String, String>();
 configOverrides.put("openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses", "unsupported");

 entityManagerFactory = Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(persistenceUnitName, configOverrides);
} else {
 entityManagerFactory = Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(persistenceUnitName);
}

I wish "supported" tried harder before failing. I've glanced at OPENJPA-377 and OPENJPA-651.
Maybe I'm approaching things incorrectly?

Does enhancing my classes at build time in my Ant script give me the same outcome/performance
as letting the app server enhance my classes?