openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Pinaki Poddar <ppod...@apache.org>
Subject Re: concurrent thread exception plus deadlock on delete statement using slice
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 02:17:54 GMT
Hi,

  Here is a possible diagnosis:

  First, a little background:

   When exceptions are thrown at the database operation, that internal
exception bubbles up to the facade (i.e. EntityManager). The facade
translates the exception to an application visible exception such as
OptimisticException or EntityNotFoundException. Depending on the severity of
the exception, the transaction is set rollback only mode.

   In this case,

   1. Multiple slices/shards are throwing database exceptions.
   2. In exception translation process gets very confused because it is
unaware that multiple slices are throwing exceptions from different threads.

  I do not have any immediate remedy. Moreover, I can not think of creating
a delete query that reliably fails at database (a query with a wrong syntax
or non-existent table would not do, because the query parser would throw the
error not the database, and parsing happens only once in Slice).

-----
Pinaki