openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Michael Dick <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need help to understand how getDirtyObjects() works.
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2011 14:37:36 GMT
Hi Chintan,

What you're trying to do is (in my opinion) a gray area. You have a
stateless EJB, but are expecting the EntityManager to track the state of a
set of entities between method calls. If you start a transaction before
calling read() and that transaction is still active when you call update()
your scenario might work. It depends on the application server to associate
a specific EntityManager instance with a transaction (I think most app
servers do this but I could be all wet).

In general if you want an EntityManager to track a set of entities across
method invocations I find it more intuitive to use a Stateful bean, which
guarantees that the same instance of the bean (and EntityManager) will be
used throughout a conversation.

Hope this helps,
-mike