openjpa-users mailing list archives

From "Sylvester Daniel. John" <Sylvester_J...@mindtree.com>
Subject RE: Dynacache openjpa support for websphere 7
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 19:07:02 GMT
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for a OpenJPA cache provider. The only cache provider found to be available is
Ehcache provider for OpenJPA. As we are using WAS 7, I thought I could use DynaCache as cache
provider for OpenJPA. But unfortunately the support is available only on WAS 8 beta.

On WXS, I think it is sold separately and doesn't come with WAS. Also I think it wouldn't
be appropriate to use WXS with the volume of date we have.

Please share your thoughts on using WXS with OpenJPA.

Thanks,
Daniel.
Hi Daniel,
The dynacache plugin for OpenJPA was a WebSphere v8 enhancement. There is
no support for the dynacache plugin on WebSphere v7 with or without the
OSGi/JPA 2.0 Feature Pack.

WXS does provide a plugin for OpenJPA. As far as I know, the
synchronization with the database is consistent with the L2 cache
capabilities of OpenJPA. That is, I'm not aware of any problems when using
the WXS plugin.

Along those lines, can I ask what specific aspects or features of dynacache
and/or WXS that you are looking for? From a strictly function and
performance perspective, the built-in L2 cache for OpenJPA works quite
well. The built-in caches are used by WebSphere when running the
SpecJEnterprise benchmarks [1]. And, since you seem to be a WebSphere
customer, there is also a read-only object cache [2] that can be utilized
with the JPA support to provide even better performance.

Good luck,
Kevin