openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Harald Wellmann <Harald.Wellm...@multi-m.de>
Subject Re: Status of OSGi Support
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2010 18:16:19 GMT

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Sutter wrote:

> Yes, the OpenJPA community is interested in OSGi.

Glad to hear that.

Kevin Sutter wrote:

> It sounds like you are very interested in getting OpenJPA working with
> Equinox, so hopefully you are also interested in helping to provide
> testcases and verify patches.

Sure, I'll do what I can to make OpenJPA even better, time permitting. I
have recently migrated a Java EE 6 application from Hibernate to OpenJPA due
to a number of JPA 2.0 features that do not work in Hibernate.

Now I'm migrating an OSGi application from Eclipselink to OpenJPA for the
same reason. Eclipselink works on OSGi out of the box, which is its USP in
my opinion, but again due to some bugs which are blockers for my
application, I've decided to move to OpenJPA with its more robust JPA 2.0
support, and maybe resort to brute force like DynamicImport-Package to make
it work on OSGi.

But of course I'd much rather see OpenJPA to take the lead from Eclipselink
by working seamlessly on OSGi in one of its coming releases.

In the meantime, after some discussion on the Aries User mailing list, I've
got a simple example working by just adding the JPA and JNDI services from
Aries, but none of the Blueprint and application model stuff.

Once you know what to do, it's rather easy to set up - I'm planning to write
a how-to in my blog and post the link here and on the Aries mailing list for
review, which might serve as input for a new section in the OpenJPA
documentation.

My real application is more complex and I'm still analyzing a couple of
problems. I'll post these issues one by one when I see a little clearer.

Best regards,

Harald