openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Michael Dick <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to set a default date in JPA when one is not supplied.
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 02:36:32 GMT
A couple of options come to mind.

1. Let the database assign the default value. You can specify the column
definition using the @Column annotation like this :
@Column(columnDefinition="TIMESTAMP DEFAULT NOW()") // syntax for MySQL -
other databases may require something different
private Date created;

2.  If you can't alter the table definitions you might be able to use
OpenJPA's transaction event
listeners<http://openjpa.apache.org/builds/latest/docs/manual/manual.html#ref_guide_runtime_pm_event>-
you'd want to use the beforeCommit() method in this case. The
TransactionEvent will contain all entities which participate in the
transaction - so you will have to manually select the one(s) you're
interested in.

hth
-mike