openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog <j-b.bri...@novlog.com>
Subject @ManyToOne not optional -> nullable
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:57:42 GMT
Hi,

Class A, has one attribute like the following :

    @ManyToOne(optional = true, cascade = CascadeType.ALL)
    @JoinColumn(name = "B_ID")
    private  B b = null;

Not surprisingly, this is producing, in the table A, a column like the following :
B_ID bigint(20) Yes NULL

Note that the column is nullable.

If I switch optional to false :
    @ManyToOne(optional = false, cascade = CascadeType.ALL)

The generated column is still nullable.

Any idea why ? I was waiting for not null join column in the database.

Despite that, it's all working fine 100%.
In case of a search on A, if optional = false, only A that has B are taken by the request.
If I switch back optional to true, all A (with ot without B) are taken into account.

So, it look like it works fine but why the column is nullable when optional = false ?

Using OpenJPA 2 with MySQL.

Thanks !