openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Michael Dick <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenJPA MySQL performance overhead
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 15:56:17 GMT
To add to what Rick said it really depends on what you're timing.

Any ORM framework is going to be slower than JDBC - the framework is doing
some extra work for you. If you count the time taken to initialize the
framework e.g. something that should be done infrequently (creating a new
EntityManagerFactory) that can affect the performance results dramatically.

Considering the insert scenario. If you just compare the time it takes to
perform an EntityTransaction (begin, create entity, commit) to the time to
execute a prepared statement and commit a connection I suspect the numbers
are a bit closer.

-mike