openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Christiaan <christiaan...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance comparison
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:20:28 GMT

I agree that it is half-tuned. However, If I am not mistaken OpenJPA strives
for "superior performance out of the box"
(http://www.mail-archive.com/open-jpa-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg02064.html).
Anyway, a similar comparison was done before, with somewhat disappointing
results for OpenJPA which caused a lot of discussion
(http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=53142).

May be, instead of spending time on these individual tests, it is a good
idea to set up some performance tests for some typical CRUD scenarios in
order to test whether the performance is still in line with perception with
each new release (eg. x% overhead compared to direct JDBC calls?). Needless
to say that small changes can sometimes have a unexpected impact on
performance.  Moreover, publishing the results on the website like Eclipse
does, could also show the areas of improvement regarding performance next to
the other improvements.

regards,
Christiaan