openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Pinaki Poddar <ppod...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scala and JPA
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:32:26 GMT

> Do you think you have to care about Scala?

Absolutely. It will be a valuable addition for OpenJPA to be accessible to a
Scala application.

> How does a functional programming language influence the design of already
> existing Java frameworks like JPA?

This is the important question. Some sort of filtering of traversal path
(your point on functional capabilities like findAndApply) on query comes
immediately in mind.  OpenJPA applied a procedural API called FetchPlan for
similar "closure" effect -- but a functional mechanics is not only more
appropriate, it will be more powerful as well (refer Traversal in neo4j [1])

> Or is it better to design completely new API (if we want to use
ORM-functionality with a new language. This is kind of reinvent the wheel)?

No. ORM is a "hard" problem. Especially as the application domain model
grows out of adolescence of Employee-has-and-Address.

> Or is it better to write some rather "simple" and pragmatic wrapping like
> I did?

Do not really know enough about Scala to comment on what is the best
approach.

[1] http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Traversal

-----
Pinaki