openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JPA 3.0
Date Tue, 11 May 2010 15:21:40 GMT
Hi Christopher,
You're right, annotations can be verbose.  But, they don't have to be.  It
all depends on whether your application can live with the default processing
defined by the spec.  We tried to pick the most common default values for
the various annotation elements.  If your application can live with the
default processing, then all that is really necessary is the @Entity and @Id
annotations.  But, most legacy applications and schemas can not live with
the default settings, thus the annotations can become verbose.  Flexibility
can be a killer...  But, then we'd be crucified if we didn't allow for the
flexibility...  :-)

The annotations can also be overridden via orm.xml declarations.  This would
keep your base code more readable, while putting the detailed gorp into the
xml file(s).  Maybe this would be more suitable for your environment.

Not sure what you mean by "fluent API".  Any specific examples to help with
this discussion?

Thanks,
Kevin