openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Rick Curtis <curti...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenJPA without jta-data-source in persistence xml
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:54:22 GMT
Per the JPA 1.0 spec:

"The transaction-type attribute is used to specify whether the entity
managers provided by the
entity manager factory for the persistence unit must be JTA entity managers
or resource-local entity
managers. The value of this element is JTA or RESOURCE_LOCAL. A
transaction-type of JTA
assumes that a JTA data source will be provided—either as specified by the
jta-data-source element
or provided by the container. In general, in Java EE environments, a
transaction-type of
RESOURCE_LOCAL assumes that a non-JTA datasource will be provided. In a Java
EE environment, if
this element is not specified, the default is JTA. In a Java SE environment,
if this element is not specified,
a default of RESOURCE_LOCAL may be assumed."

Although I can't say for certain whether or not OpenJPA tries to do
something tricky to allow this. Maybe someone else on the list will have
more info.

--
Thanks,
Rick