openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Russell Collins <Russell.Coll...@mclaneat.com>
Subject RE: OpenJPA 2.0 vs 1.2
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2010 20:54:36 GMT
Thank you.  That is great news.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Sutter [mailto:kwsutter@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 3:12 PM
To: users@openjpa.apache.org
Subject: Re: OpenJPA 2.0 vs 1.2

Hi Russell,
There should be no reason to change code as you move from OpenJPA 1.2 to
OpenJPA 2.0.  We have had a few "testamonials" in our users and dev mailing
lists confirming this.  The JPA Expert Group really tried to allow for
binary compatibility as we move from JPA 1.0 specification to JPA 2.0.

The exceptions would be in the area of using features in OpenJPA 1.2 that
were beyond the JPA 1.0 spec and the new JPA 2.0 spec defined slightly
different behavior.  For example, in OpenJPA 1.2, we defined a detach()
method on our EM implementation that returned a detached version of the
entity object.  JPA 2.0 defined an in-place detach() method (no return
value).  If you were dependent on the copy aspect of detach(), then you
might need to modify your application or configuration to get the previous
implementation.

We've attempted to document these type of situations in our manual [1].

Good luck and let us know your results!
Kevin

[1]
http://openjpa.apache.org/builds/latest/docs/manual/manual.html#jpa_2.0_incompatibilities