openjpa-users mailing list archives

From "C N Davies" <...@cndavies.com>
Subject Query confusion
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:46:26 GMT
Hi,

I'm using OpenJPA 1.2.1  and I need my query to return a list of field in
some entities.  Usually I would use the query function but it returns a list
of entities which is not what I want. For an example this is what I need to
do.  I have a "User" entity, which has many data members, rather than my
query return a list of User entities I want it to return some data in each
of the User entities returned by my query, for example in normal SQL I would
write:

Select Name, Age, EmailAddress, Weight from com.mypackage.User were Age > 25

Using OpenJPA I only know I can query like this:

Select u from User where Age > 25

But getResultList()  will return a list if User entities, but  I only want
specific fields as would be returned by my standard SQL above.

I looked at the NativeQuery docs but it looks like I have to return an
entity again:

Query query = em.createNativeQuery("select Name, Age, EmailAddress, Age
where age>25",User.class)

List <User> results = query.getResultList();

which will return a list of Users

What am I missing here?