openjpa-users mailing list archives

From "KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW)" <dk0...@att.com>
Subject RE: Get "You cannot access the EntityTransaction when using managed transactions." when I implement @Transactional methods with OpenJPA
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:21:16 GMT

A bunch of things just "came together" at the end of the day yesterday.
I'm glad it's working, but I think I need to understand better why it's
now working.  I'd appreciate any ideas about this.

It looks like the last problem I had is that I was setting
"non-jta-data-source", and not "jta-data-source", but my
"transaction-type" was "JTA".  I changed that to "RESOURCE_LOCAL" and my
last error went away.  In addition, the other problem I had had, where
the test case with "categories with child categories" would throw an NPE
in "pcReplaceField()", also went away.

Throughout all of this, I'm using a DataSource defined in WebLogic, so I
can get connection pooling (as opposed to just doing a direct
connection).

I started out with my Controller layer directly calling my DAO layer,
which referenced the EntityManager.  That's when I noticed the NPE in
"pcReplaceField()" for one of my two existing test cases.  At that point
I thought perhaps it might be a good idea to implement a transactional
layer between the Controller and DAO, even if it was only read-only.  I
put the "@Transactional" annotation on that service layer method, and
that produced the InvalidStateException.  After that, I ended up
changing "jta-data-source" to "non-jta-data-source" and the
"transaction-type" to "RESOURCE_LOCAL".  That fixed both problems.

Although the OpenJPA doc, JPA spec, and Spring doc mentions
"transaction-type", "JTA", and "RESOURCE_LOCAL", neither of them really
explain the choices and the real implications and consequences of those
choices.

On a related topic, if a persistence.xml has "transaction-type" set to
"JTA" with no "jta-data-source" setting, is it reasonable to say that
there's no way that could work?  If so, wouldn't this be a reasonable
thing for the framework to validate and present a message in that case?

> On Dec 16, 2009, at 8:45 AM, KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW) wrote:
>
> > I have an app using Spring 2.5.6, OpenJPA 1.2.1, and WebLogic
> > 10.3.2.  I
> > specified a JTA datasource in the persistence.xml.  I have a Spring
> > controller that calls my DAO class which uses the EntityManager.
> This
> > is working ok with respect to transactions.  As my app is only going
> > be reading the database, I would think I wouldn't need transactions.
> > However, because of one problem I'm having with traversing an
> > association path, I thought I would try to implement a transactional
> > service layer, and do the association walking within that layer.
> >
> > So, I added a class with a "@Transactional" method and put that in
> > between the Controller and the DAO.  Now, I'm seeing the following
> > exception stack trace:
> >
> > --------------------
> > Caused by:
> > org.springframework.transaction.CannotCreateTransactionException:
> > Could
> > not open JPA EntityManager for transaction; nested exception is
> > <openjpa-1.2.1-r752877:753278 nonfatal user error>
> > org.apache.openjpa.persistence.InvalidStateException: You cannot
> > access
> > the EntityTransaction when using managed transactions.
> > 	at
> > org

.springframework.orm.jpa.JpaTransactionManager.doBegin(JpaTransaction
> > Manager.java:375)
> > 	at
> > org

.springframework.transaction.support.AbstractPlatformTransactionManag
> > er.getTransaction(AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.java:374)
> > 	at
> > org

.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionAspectSupport.cre
> > ateTransactionIfNecessary(TransactionAspectSupport.java:263)
> > 	at
> > org

.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invok
> > e(TransactionInterceptor.java:101)
> > 	at
> > org

.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(Ref