openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Daryl Stultz <da...@6degrees.com>
Subject Re: EntityManager used in multiple threads
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:00:54 GMT
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Prodoc <age@hobba.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've created a desktop application using OpenJPA 1.2.1. Due to the large
> amount of data in the DB lazy fetching is basically a must. Large
> collections in some entity classes aren't accessed right away after
> retrieving the objects from the DB so the entity manager has the remain
> open.

I am writing a web application so my options are different than yours. I
(lazily) create an em per "event thread" (essentially per HTTP request) that
gets destroyed at the end of the request. It's common to load some entities
and display some "top level" information - like a list that shows the name,
modification date, etc. Then drill into one object and work with its
details. Here I would re-fetch the entity from the DB pulling along whatever
extended properties/children I need.

A Soldier may have only a few Weapons, but an Army may have millions. The
property Army.weapons needs to exist so you can use it in queries, but you
would never want to traverse it in Java because the whole thing would be
loaded from the DB. So as well as the idea above, you can work with an
entity's extended properties and children without having them all loaded
into one object graph.

In the case of a desktop application, you may want to consider keeping an
entity manager per user (unless the multi-thread issue comes from the one
user).

--
Daryl Stultz