openjpa-users mailing list archives

From "jason.m.hanna" <jason.m.hanna.at.coincid...@gmail.com>
Subject Issue Merging Object w/Null Timestamp when Detached State Field Disabled
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2009 03:38:49 GMT

Hi All,

I'm having some trouble with my OpenJPA application and could use some help.

I've got a web-based application using Flex and BlazeDS to front-end my web
container running Tomcat, Spring, OpenJPA, and a few other technologies. My
back-end database is PostgreSQL.

I've got a DAO layer that works with a number of annotated POJOs, and
everything has been working fairly smoothly until I just tried to merge a
detached object and set its Date (db timestamp) to null.

Somewhat surprisingly, the new null value seems to go undetected by JPA and
the field is never included in the generated update statement. Hence the
date is not removed from my returned object.

Because I'm using Flex and BlazeDS, my POJOs are annotated to disable
detached state field use.

I'm running this way as the documentation seemed to suggest this should work
w/o a detached state field - plus it avoids serialization issues in BlazeDS
and ActionScript caused by the detached state field.

Is this a bug I'm seeing or how the system is supposed to work?

Versions, etc. as follows:
OpenJPA 1.2.1 (classes enhanced @ build)
JDK 1.6.x
PostgreSQL 8.3