openjpa-users mailing list archives

From "C N Davies" <...@cndavies.com>
Subject RE: Delete or merge, update or merge ?
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 13:23:04 GMT
No, not at all.

It's an issue relating to what the data represents.  The company I worked
for many years had a ORMS system that worked like this for example.

I have thousands of suppliers each of which is an entity
Each supplier can have multiple billing addresses and multiple delivery
addresses and multiple users who each in turn can have multiple billing and
delivery addresses ... not to mention postal addresses.

If I look at how JPA works it makes the assumption that if you have entity
relationships then any change to a related entity that requires a change to
subordinate entities will cause those subordinate entities to be updated
(merged/persisted etc)

Now move into the realm of fortune 500 companies and smaller, most of the
master data is in the ERP not in the JPA apps that we may build. JPA should
have a mechanism that allows the developer to only join "MASTER ENITIES"
(those where the source of truth is the ERP for instance) instead I have to
use REFRESH which to be honest baffles me as a term.

Not having a shot at OpenJPA at all, more at the JPA standard because these
issues were well and truly put to bed in he late 90's now in the late 2000s
I feel we have gone back 10 years in the spec.

Anyway I don't pretend to be an expert on OpenJPA or JPA at all, just
putting in my 2c worth... also not blowing the trumpet of my former
employer's ORMS system ....  I sued them a year ago and am hoping they'll go
bust.