openjpa-users mailing list archives

From "C N Davies" <...@cndavies.com>
Subject RE: Encountered unmanaged object
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2009 22:18:43 GMT
Hi Darryl,

Well I am not a JPA expert so I'll answer the bit I can.

"How did you end up resolving your problem? I assume the City child is not
allowed to be null? I'm not clear how your system got into the state it was
in (is it repeatable?)."

I have had this issue quite a number of times, it turned out to be a logic
issue in the base class for my in my backing bean that would null out the
child entity in an main entity, when this condition occurs I will always get
this error. Can I reproduce it? ... more times than I care to count :)

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Daryl Stultz [mailto:daryl@6degrees.com]
Sent: Thursday, 20 August 2009 4:48 AM
To: users@openjpa.apache.org
Subject: Re: Encountered unmanaged object

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 4:27 PM, C N Davies <cnd@cndavies.com> wrote:

> Hi Daryl,
>
> I get that exact error if one of my fields in my main entity has a
> reference
> to a child entity and the child is null.

The next line of the error message is something like this:

> FailedObject: blah.model.A-1234

I think that means the instance of A with id 1234 is the object that's
failing, thus it's not null. Or maybe the instance of A has a null property?
Just trying to see if my case fits with yours or JIRA OPENJPA-714.

Can an Open JPA expert tell me if the problem is with the state of MyEntity,
A or some property of A?

For example if I have an Address
> entity that contains a City entity and for some reason my City entity is
> null, then when I try to persist the Address entity, I'll get this error.
> It
> only seems to happen when I have the child entity cascade set to REFRESH.

Hmm, I'm currently using CascadeType "NONE" (empty) for the properties that
have failed.

How did you end up resolving your problem? I assume the City child is not
allowed to be null? I'm not clear how your system got into the state it was
in (is it repeatable?).

Thanks for the input.
--
Daryl Stultz