openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: openJPA generates select per row - impossible to use for simple select statements
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:40:55 GMT
I reproduced the problem!  There's something about the logic in Mikhail's
resetTime method that is affecting the populating of the entities.  My
resetTime() method had similar logic, but not exactly what Mikhail had.  I
replaced the implementation and "poof" I reproduced the problem.

I'll do some more experimenting to further isolate the problem and get a
JIRA filed (maybe even resolved).

Thanks, Mikhail, for your patience and assistance.  This was a strange one,
indeed.

Kevin

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 9:30 AM, om <mikhail.ostryanin@ubs.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I don't have simple example. It looks like I can't help you here,
> unfortunately. This strange behavior occured on openJPA 1.0 embedded in
> WebSphere, OpenJPA 1.2.1 and last 2.0 versions linked to my application and
> initialized explicitly in code ( not through dependency injection ).
> Account
> object and persistence.xml are provided earlier, and they're extremely
> simple. Util.resetTime is extremely simple as well :
>   public static Calendar resetTime(Calendar date) {
>      if (date == null) return null;
>      date.set(Calendar.HOUR_OF_DAY, 0);
>      date.set(Calendar.MINUTE, 0);
>      date.set(Calendar.SECOND, 0);
>      date.set(Calendar.MILLISECOND, 0);
>      return date;
>   }
>
> WebSphere 6.1.0.21 with EJB3.0 pack, ORACLE version has been provided
> earlier (10.2.0.3 as I remember).
> Can't imagine what else can follow openJPA to this strange behavior...
>

> Kevin Sutter wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mikhail,
> > If you can believe this, I still can not reproduce the problem.  What
> > exactly does your util.resetTime() method do?
> >
> > I have been trying your scenario with old and new versions of OpenJPA.  I
> > even went back and used the same JVM (IBM JDK 5sr6b).  Still no luck.
> >
> > I can't any references in the spec or the OpenJPA documentation that
> > restricts the code within getters and setters, but we do document how we
> > proxy Date classes (and other similar types) so that we can more easily
> > detect updates to these fields.  You have shown how this affects your
> > usage.  Now, we just need to get the development team to be able to
> > reproduce it so that we can figure out the root cause.
> >
> > Since it sounds like you have done much experimentation with this, do you
> > have a small example or project that demonstrates this problem?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Kevin
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 7:50 AM, Kevin Sutter <kwsutter@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Mikhail,
> >> Great detective work.  I thought I had verified that this didn't matter,
> >> but based on Mike's note below, I didn't actually replace the Date field
> >> with my helper method.  That must have been the trick with reproducing
> >> the
> >> problem.  I will try that out in my environment when I get to work and
> >> let
> >> you know.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Kevin