openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Use getters/setters only
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:55:32 GMT
Hi Daryl,

On Jun 11, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Daryl Stultz wrote:

> I am using field access. I placed my annotations on the fields simply
> because I like them there. I didn't realize there was a functional
> difference. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to field vs property
> access?
> It seems property access has the potential gotcha, while field does
> not.
> Perhaps there is some other cost...

For me, property access should only be used with persistent abstract
classes or persistent interfaces. In these cases, the properties are
implemented by OpenJPA and the user has no opportunity for mischief.

In the case of non-abstract classes, IMHO using properties mixes two
concerns: the client view (which has to use the accessors to get to
the data) and the persistence implementation view (which has to use
the accessors to store the data in the database). When using property
access for non-abstract classes, you can't put business logic into the
accessors because this interferes with the persistence
implementation's use of the accessors.

HTH,

Craig

Craig L Russell