openjpa-users mailing list archives

From pablito <paul9...@gmail.com>
Subject Monitoring a database table or individual record for changes?
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:26:24 GMT

Hi:

I apologise for the newb question, but I'm a still a bit inexperienced when
it comes to the database scene. Basically, I expect to have a number of
servlets using a same database instance (under MySql if that matters). Is
there any way to register a callback against a table or even a particular
record for changes? Basically, I'm looking at a scenario where different
servlets (in Tomcat) are interested in the same table/record and need to
know to re-read the data when it changes.

I ask here as we will be using OpenJpa, but I can't say I'm aware if
databases generally have this capability. To be clear, I've looked at the
Lifecycle callbacks, but I'm assuming that this isn't meant to cut across
process boundaries. I'm just looking for confirmation either way.

Many thanks,
Pab