openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Toffetti <dto...@yahoo.com.ar>
Subject Re: Looking for advice on JPA based DAO
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:11:23 GMT

Hi Wes,

    Thanks you for your help, in fact I started my search after reading this article "DRY
CRUD DAOs with JPA ...and Spring" by Gregg Bolinger:

  http://www.greggbolinger.com/blog/2008/04/17/1208457000000.html

    There he makes exactly what you say and I liked the idea very much. I'm trying to mimic
that but without Spring and without Hibernate, and also with support for stored procedures.
    Besides being intranet applications that requires much of set operations as discussed
with Pinaki Poddar, and hence JPA alone is perhaps not the most appropiate approach, the other
big drawback is that our team has years of experience maintaining many legacy client server
apps mostly written in VB6.
    Starting developments in Java web applications has been slow for us and we try to keep
things simple. We choosed Wicket, IReport and a code generator that builds a DAO based on
another persistence library (that I'm trying to replace now as it closed source recently and
is not standards based). With that we released.
    Getting used to Spring and Hibernate will take some time, and I'm not even sure it they
fit our needs. I'm trying to adopt new tools (ok new for us!) at a slow pace to ease our transition.

    I'm interested to know whether you consider feasible the development of a DAO layer solely
based on JPA, that fits well with this kind of development scenario: heavy usage of stored
procedures, non-navigable but rather set based operations.

Thanks again for your help,

Daniel