openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Slow performance with OpenJPA when selecting from a ManyToMany relation.
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:44:20 GMT
Shubbis and Nitish,
Thanks for your efforts.  So, to clarify -- all implementations are using
similar configurations (ie. connection pooling, caching, enhancement, etc)?
But, the OpenJPA performance is still 3 times slower than the competitors?
In all of the scenarios?  Or, just with this ManyToMany scenario?  I would
expect some overhead as compared to iBatis and/or straight JDBC, but OpenJPA
should be competitive (and beat) the Hibernates and EclipseLinks...  Very
frustrating.  When we do our comparisons with the industry benchmarks (Trade
and SpecJApp), OpenJPA is extremely competitive.

I have not closely examined your benchmark project, so I don't know how it
compares to Trade and/or SpecJApp work loads.  Any thoughts on this topic?

One other thought...  Just to prove that the enhancement processing is being
done and you're not falling into the sub-classing support, could you run
with the following property?  This will cause your application to error-off
if your Entities are not byte-code enhanced.  We will not fall into the
sub-classing support which greatly affects the performance.

<property name="openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses"
    value="warn"/>

It really seems that you are trying to do a fair comparison, and I greatly
appreciate your efforts.  The last time one of these comparisons was posted,
the benchmark code and process was flawed.  So, I am pleased to see the
efforts associated with this exercise.

Our performance lead is out having a baby, so we haven't been able to dig
into your benchmark to the extent that we would like.  If we can verify that
the enhancement processing is happening, that would be good input.  Thanks
for your patience.  What kind of timeframe are you under for posting this
benchmark?

Thanks,
Kevin