openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Pinaki Poddar <ppod...@apache.org>
Subject Re: drawbacks of using XML over annotations
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 02:11:24 GMT

Hi,
> 1) Do you still get the optimizations that come from enhancing persistent
> classes containing annotations?
Enhancement as a build-time, post-compilation process works with both source
code annotations and XML descriptors. And, by all means, this build-time
enhancement is the preferred/recommended approach for any
production/staging-level deployment. At runtime, there may be a slight
difference at start up (when metadata for persistent classes are being
scanned/sourced) between annotation and XML descriptors -- but for practical
purpose that is negligible.

> 2) In reading the manual, it looked like there is a set of advanced
> features that are only supported via annotations, and not XML.  Is this
> correct?
Yes.

> Are there plans to provide XML equivalents in the future?
A design for supporting OpenJPA-specific annotations in XML descriptors was
laid out [1]. But this project is not currently active. One uncertainty
surrounding this issue is JPA specification defined XML Schema (orm.xsd)
curently does not allow vendor specific extension elements. The decision
regarding this aspect i.e. whether JPA XML Schema allow vendor-specific
extension at all and if it does, what form that will take is still pending.

3) Is there any way to generate the java classes with annotations based on
entity XML?

Not that I am aware of. That will be a nice to have facility especially when
the domain classes carry no business logic.