openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse - javaagent enhancement
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:23:56 GMT
Adam,
Interesting questions, which could have very lengthy answers...  But, let's
start and see where it takes us...

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Adam Hardy <adam.sql@cyberspaceroad.com>wrote:

> One of the projects I work on is a framework that is designed to be used
> with any JPA provider, and the testing runs against OpenJPA as well as
> Hibernate and Toplink Essentials.
>
> Obviously I don't want the javaagent to act on my entity classes when I'm
> running Hibernate or Toplink, but there appears to be no easy way to stop it
> from one test to another in a batch run.

Right.  If your jvm invocation contains the -javaagent parameter, OpenJPA
does not have another overriding option that would turn off that
processing.  That's an interesting request, but we don't have anything like
that right now.  We have options that you can specify on the javaagent
parameter that tells OpenJPA "how much class redefinition" we should do, but
if you're going to modify that javaagent parameter, then you might as well
remove it.  You are welcome to open a JIRA feature for that request.

> It would be interesting to know whether there are plans to abandon the byte
> code rewriting, and what the history behind its adoption is. I would assume
> that it's performance but I haven't had seen any comparative stats between
> the different JPA providers.

Each JPA provider has picked thier poison and decided on the mechanism for
intercepting Entity interactions.  Hibernate went the sub-classing route,
while most of the other providers went with the byte-code weaving approach.
>From an out-of-the-box experience, Hibernate's approach seems easier.
OpenJPA started down that path also.  We provide a sub-classing mechanism if
normal enhancement has not been detected.  But, we hit some roadblocks with
this sub-classing approach as they pertain the rest of our architecture.
Thus, it's not really ready for prime time.

There are many advantages to the enhancement processing.  Overall, our
performance is better with byte-code enhancement.  The industry benchmarks
seem to back up this claim.

But, where we would like to get is to do the bytecode enhancement without
any special options or processing by the user.  The Java 6 feature for class
redefinition may give us that possibility.  We would like to automatically
detect whether enhancement has been specified and, if it hasn't, insert our
enhancement processing into the classloading mechanism automatically.  Prior
to Java 6, we had to rely on the javaagent parameter, or the app server's
container hooks, or static enhancement.  Hopefully, Java 6 will allow us to
improve on this processing.

Hope this helps explain.  We have some of the same concerns and are looking
to improve on them.

Kevin