openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Jonatan Samoocha <jonatan.samoo...@ps.net>
Subject Re: Unexpected merge/cascade behavior
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:07:31 GMT

Hi Sandhya,

I tried your workaround, but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem:

When only managing the relation from the owning (child) side, the test runs
without errors, but the child simply doesn't get merged/created during
em.merge(parent).

When managing the relation from the parent side (collection), the database
again tries to insert NULL into the parent table.

Finally, when removing the cascade from the parent (and managing the
relation from both sides), I get the following exception:

Exception in thread "main" <openjpa-1.0.0-r420667:568756 nonfatal user
error> org.apache.openjpa.persistence.ArgumentException: Encountered new
object "model.TestChild@1127b52" in persistent field
"model.TestParent.children<element:class model.TestChild>" of managed object
"org.apache.openjpa.enhance.model$TestParent$pcsubclass-1" during attach.
However, this field does not allow cascade attach.  You cannot attach a
reference to a new object without cascading.
FailedObject: model.TestChild@1127b52

Is this last exception caused by the bug OPENJPA-231 (since I'm using
openjpa-1.0.0, in which this bug is not fixed)?

As a new observation (following the discussion of OPENJPA-231): when I use
openjpa-1.2.0 and remove the cascade from the child class, my whole testcase
runs correctly! However, I'm not sure if I can get approval to use
openjpa-1.2.0 within the project I'm working on. If that's the case, I'll
simply switch to openjpa-1.2.0 and there's no need for a patch. If not, we
need to think of another workaround...

Thanks,

Jonatan