openjpa-users mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Foreign key field doesn't get populated in descendant class in Join Inheritance
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 02:52:06 GMT
Ruslan,
This paragraph was key...

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:29 PM, ruslan <ruslanv@gmail.com> wrote:

> All two issues go away if I specify PCEnhancer via -javaagent option. Which
> makes me think that "Java 6 class retransformation" described in the
> documentation doesn't work as intended (or I don't understand something) in
> terms of control of "dirtiness" of objects.

The "fallback" mechanism for doing enhancement via subclassing is not ready
for prime time.  Reference JIRA for several issues related to this
processing [1] and it's been discussed on the dev forum several times.
Unfortunately, since this feature already went out the door as enabled by
default, it's difficult to turn it off by default.   It was meant as an aid
to demonstrate an easy "out of box" experience.  It was never meant for
production use.

I would suggest turning this option off and using either static enhancement
via the PCEnhancer tool or using the -javaagent option like you suggested.
If both of these problems are resolved by using one of this preferred
enhancement processes, then I would suggest that we open another JIRA with
these additional short comings.

Document for the RuntimeUnenhancedClasses property can be found here [2].
FYI, WebSphere Application Server runs with this option set to "warn".  This
way, a warning message gets issued and we still don't fallback to this
subclassing mechanism.

Let me know your results.

Thanks,
Kevin