openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com>
Subject Re: how do you manage db exceptions?
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:52:24 GMT
I'm not sure if this is a question specific to openjpa, but it doesn't
seem like it, so I will answer as though it is not. In general, whenever
working at a level that would encounter a Sql Exception, I catch them
and wrap them in an application specific Exception that is unchecked. I
don't think I've ever had a SQLException that application code can
recover. Or, at least, never have I come across a situation where the
effort to recover from the exception is worthwhile.

Lately, I have been using Spring quite a bit... Within Spring's database
APIs, SQLExceptions are caught and wrapped in much more useful
exceptions that are unchecked.

-Wes