openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Stuart Bedoll <bed...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Native Query: Update fails with InvalidStateException
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:01:46 GMT

great.. that worked.. thanks!

             Fay Wang
             <fyw300@yahoo.com
                                       users@openjpa.apache.org
             10/28/2008 10:00                                           cc
             PM                        fyw300@yahoo.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Native Query: Update fails with
             Please respond to         InvalidStateException
             users@openjpa.apa
                  che.org

Hi, Stuart,
      The error message "Cannot perform an update or delete operation on
select query" suggests that openjpa thinks your query is a select
operation, and therefore when executeUpdate is called on this query,
openjpa does not know how to update/delete on the select statement.

    There are a couple of reason why openjpa will think a query is a select
statement. The following is one example:

Query query  = em.createNativeQuery("update BasicA set name = ? where id
=?", BasicA.class);

Note that the result class (BasicA.class) is provided as an extra input
parameter to the createNativeQuery api. For this query object, if you call
executeUpdate on it, you will get "Cannot perform an update or delete
operation on select query" error. You might want to check your code to see
exactly how the native query is created.

Regards,
Fay