openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Fay Wang <fyw...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Native Query: Update fails with InvalidStateException
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 23:24:52 GMT
Hi, Stuart,

   The error message "Cannot perform an update or delete operation on select query: "Update
FPA2.NW_OR_004_14702765 Set Cost=? Where PT_GRID_ID=?"." suggests that openjpa thinks your
native query is a select statement. The call to executeUpdate therefore can not be performed
on a select statement.

    There are a couple of reasons why openjpa thinks your query is a select statement.
The following is an example (note the result class, BasicA.class, is an input paramter to
the createNativeQuery api). An executeUpdate on it results in the same error as you describe:

        Query q = em.createNativeQuery("UPDATE BasicA t set t.name= ? WHERE t.id =
?", BasicA.class);

       The query below takes out the result class and works just fine:
        Query q = em.createNativeQuery("UPDATE BasicA t set t.name= ? WHERE t.id =
?");

Regards,
Fay

--- On Tue, 10/28/08, Stuart Bedoll <bedoll@us.ibm.com> wrote:
From: Stuart Bedoll <bedoll@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Native Query: Update fails with InvalidStateException
To: users@openjpa.apache.org
Date: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 1:06 PM

What version of the IBM feature pack did you use. I am at:

Name                     WebSphere Application Server Version 6.1 Feature Pack for EJB 3.0

Version                  6.1.0.13

ID                       EJB3

Build Level              f0747.05

Build Date               11/30/07

Installed Product

Fay Wang <fyw300@yahoo.com>

Fay Wang <fyw300@yahoo.com>
10/27/2008 10:10 AM

Please respond to

users@openjpa.apache.org

users@openjpa.apache.org

cc

Subject

Re: Native Query: Update fails with InvalidStateException

Hi,

   I could not reproduce this problem against DB2. Which database are you using? also,can
you post your persistence.xml to see if there is any special setting?

Fay