openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Fay Wang <fyw...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Native Query: Update fails with InvalidStateException
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2008 04:00:41 GMT
Hi, Stuart,
      The error message "Cannot perform an update or delete operation on select query"
suggests that openjpa thinks your query is a select operation, and therefore when executeUpdate
is called on this query, openjpa does not know how to update/delete on the select statement.

    There are a couple of reason why openjpa will think a query is a select statement. The
following is one example:

Query query  = em.createNativeQuery("update BasicA set name = ? where id =?", BasicA.class);

Note that the result class (BasicA.class) is provided as an extra input parameter to the createNativeQuery
api. For this query object, if you call executeUpdate on it, you will get "Cannot perform
an update or delete operation on select query" error. You might want to check your code to
see exactly how the native query is created.

Regards,
Fay

--- On Tue, 10/28/08, Stuart Bedoll <bedoll@us.ibm.com> wrote:
From: Stuart Bedoll <bedoll@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Native Query: Update fails with InvalidStateException
To: users@openjpa.apache.org
Date: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 1:06 PM

What version of the IBM feature pack did you use. I am at:

Name                     WebSphere Application Server Version 6.1 Feature Pack for EJB 3.0

Version                  6.1.0.13

ID                       EJB3

Build Level              f0747.05

Build Date               11/30/07

Installed Product

Fay Wang <fyw300@yahoo.com>

Fay Wang <fyw300@yahoo.com>
10/27/2008 10:10 AM

Please respond to

users@openjpa.apache.org

users@openjpa.apache.org

cc

Subject

Re: Native Query: Update fails with InvalidStateException

Hi,

   I could not reproduce this problem against DB2. Which database are you using? also,can
you post your persistence.xml to see if there is any special setting?

Fay