openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Jitendra chintamadaka <cj...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Able to remove relation with ManyToMany and no cascade.
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2008 04:49:20 GMT
Ok, section 3.2.3 in JSR 220, does explain.

Assuming that cascade attribute does not have any effect (as its not mentioned in that section).
This then is an issue with the JPA specification itself. As introducing unwanted DB changes
cannot be prevented with a annotation. May be I should open a issue or recommendation for
JPA Specification itself.

Regards

----- Original Message ----
From: Pinaki Poddar <ppoddar@apache.org>
To: users@openjpa.apache.org
Sent: Monday, July 7, 2008 8:04:03 PM
Subject: Re: Able to remove relation with ManyToMany and no cascade.

Hi,

> I have looked up the JSR 220 and did not find any specific mention on this
> scenario. This seems like a
> bug in the implementation. Please let me know if this really is a bug, so
> I can submit a bug report.

JSR-220 Section 3.2.3 "Synchronization to the Database" pp 44 says:
"Bidirectional relationships between managed entities will be persisted
based on references held by the owning side of the relationship"

The scenario you have described can be explained and not attributed as a
limitation of implementation by the above.