openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Andy Schlaikjer <haz...@cs.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: Synchronizing two databases with the same model
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 16:44:29 GMT
Jonas,

I'm glad you asked this question as I'd also been thinking about how I
might get around restrictions the @GeneratedValue annotation enforces
within OpenJPA.

In certain circumstances I need to specify the value of a field marked
with @GeneratedValue explicitly when persisting a new entity instance.
I'd hoped that perhaps "merge" semantics would differ from "persist"
semantics with respect to this constraint, but it seems (quite
logically) that the constraint is applied uniformly to all entity
life-cycle operations.

For the time being I've had to fall back on JDBC to persist new data,
but it'd be great if there were a way to signal to OpenJPA that a field
marked with GeneratedValue may be explicitly defined for certain
operations, like merge or persist.

Andy