openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Christiaan <christiaan...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Slow JPA
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:31:40 GMT

Brill Pappin wrote:

> I've just been doing some work tonight, and am finding that begin() ->
> commit() transactions take longer and longer (in my case I have a very
> large
> update that is broken down into chunks). I haven't traced the problem yet

I was triggered by this remark, since I had the same kind of performance
drop over multi-transactions. This was addressed in
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-439 which should be in the 1.1
branch, not the 1.0 (though I see in a later post of you some other project
is also experiencing this with 1.1). I am still experiencing the performance
drop when using flush() instead of multiple commits:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-342

Also, our product is handling tens of thousands of objects (persisting /
retrieving) at a quite acceptable performance (I am using Kodo though which
has some additional features), so things should not be noticably slower just
because you are using an orm. It takes some tuning though, for instance, I
had some good experience in setting a small fetch batch size in
FetchConfiguration when iterating over large result sets.

kind regards,
Christiaan