openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Christiaan <christiaan...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: EntityManager memory usage
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 17:30:18 GMT

Marc Siegel wrote:

> By doing self-contained data access in transactions, and by completely
> discarding and recreating the EntityManager every so often as well as
> the EntityManagerFactory, I seem to have held memory usage down pretty
> well. I don't know if that strategy would work in your case but I
> would keep it in mind, apparently the J2EE application servers do
> this?

I would definitely think that creating entitymanager every so often would be
beneficial for memory and performance usage, since I am seeing some strange
results when transactions with large data volumes are involved. However, our
current architecture is based on a single entitymanager (persistencemanager)
being open during the entire session of a user (it's a rich client
application, not a web application). Anyway, the design of the entitymanager
should be such that this should not be the case, so may be it needs a little
more investigation.

Christiaan