openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Christiaan <christiaan...@hotmail.com>
Subject Performance: single vs multiple transactions
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:44:24 GMT

Hi,
I am working with a large tree structure domain model and when performing a
delete the following (summarized) code gets executed (Using Kodo 4.1.4) :

myDelete(PersistenceObject o) {
  updateReferences(object);
  pm.flush();
  pm.deleteObject(object);
  pm.flush()
}

Now when I delete a large collection of objects (> 15000) I noticed the
following performance behaviour. If I call delete on every object within one
transaction, the performance of myDelete() quickly builds up. After a couple
of deletes it is 120 ms per call, after a few hundred calls it is already
500 ms.
However, if I put each call to myDelete() in a single transaction it stays
consistently 40 ms.

kind regards,
Christiaan