openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Prem Devanbu <instructor.deva...@gmail.com>
Subject query from a researchers
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2014 18:39:03 GMT
Dear OpenJPA Developers,

First, if this query is mis-directed, please accept our humble apologies.
In this case, I deeply appreciate if I could be told where to send this
question.

In the interest of reducing your traffic, I respectfully suggest that
replies be sent to "instructor.devanbu@gmail.com"

We are a group of researchers at UC Davis who have been studying the
comparative benefits of static analysis tools (i.e.,, FindBugs, PMD, JLint)
and statistical defect prediction in helping find post-release defects. We
are doing this for 5 projects that have very good defect data reporting:
derby, lucene, wicket, OpenJPA and QPid.

In this context we would very much like to know if/how static analysis
tools are being used by committers in this project.

a) Do you use Findbugs, or Jlint, or PMD? (If NO, just skip the rest of the
questions)
b) Are these tools routinely run as part of the project build/commit
scripts (viz., somehow warnings are looked at by developers as part of the
routine building/commiting process)? Which ones?
c) Are there individual developers that use FindBugs/Jlint/PMD Routinely?
Who are you? Which tools?
d) Are there developers who use these tools sporadically? Which ones?
e) Is any  developer using statistical defect prediction?

thank you very much,

Prem Devanbu
Professor, Computer Science,
UC Davis.