openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Wrobel <kay.wro...@gmx.net>
Subject PersistenceException: Invalid character string format for type int
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2013 20:08:28 GMT
Dear OpenJPA Dev Team,

I am getting this exception
<https://raw.github.com/kwrobel/OpenJPA-IntExceptionTest/master/OpenJPA-IntExceptionTest/DiscountCode-Exception.txt>

while reading a simple entity DiscountCode from a Derby database called
SAMPLE (ships with Glassfish/NetBeans) called DISCOUNT_CODE that has
only two fields:

 1. DISCOUNT_CODE  CHAR(1) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
 2. RATE DECIMAL(4,2) NULL

DISCOUNT_CODE maps to type "Character" and RATE maps to "BigDecimal". I
set up a Github <https://github.com/kwrobel/OpenJPA-IntExceptionTest>
with a small test project. It's really small and concise. All you need
to run this is a running Derby Network server with the SAMPLE database
(included on the github), the latest OpenJPA library (I tested so far:
2.2.0 shipping with TomEE 1.5.2, 2.2.2 from the main project page, and
2.3.0-SNAPSHOT), the derby client driver (derby.jar, derbyclient.jar,
derbynet.jar from the main Apache Derby distribution) and that's it.

The curious part is that the field DiscountCode, though a char field,
contains numeric, integer values. Mark Struberg seems to have a hunch
already of what is going on and is able to add some more insight.

Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kay Wrobel