openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Bauer <techhu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Connection lost issue after several hours of idle time
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2013 20:53:01 GMT
Hi Chathuri,

Do you know how many hours it takes before connections are dropped?  Based
on your persistence.xml, it looks like you are using MySQL.  By default
MySQL connections will timeout after 8 hours of inactivity.  MySQL provides
a parameter "wait_timeout" that can be used to set the amount of time to
allow a non-interactive connection to site idle before closing it.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-system-variables.html#sysvar_wait_timeout

On the client, DBCP includes additional parameters that you can use to tune
the timeout and purge behavior of the connection pool.  A combination of
validationQuery, testWhileIdle, etc. may help clear idle connections that
have gone stale out of the pool (
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/configuration.html) before
they get handed to OpenJPA.  I also checked on the MySQL driver and based
on the documentation, TCP keep alive should be enabled by default (
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/connector-j-reference-configuration-properties.html)
and the socket timeout is 0 (no timeout) - so I wouldn't guess that the
driver is causing the time out.

hth,
-Jeremy