openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dick <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Exporting website from CWIKI
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 02:20:37 GMT
Earlier this year the Apache Infrastructure team asked the PMC to start
migrating the our website from the confluence wiki to the ASF CMS with a
deadline of the end of this year.

I volunteered to look into this work, and tonight I committed the first
wave of changes. The rationale behind making the change can be found in the
links below, but given the delays in publishing through Confluence I think
we can all agree that in the end we'll be better served by using the ASF
CMS.

Unfortunately this project turned out to be bigger than I originally
expected, and I don't think I'll be able to contain the work on my own. So
I'm looking for volunteers to help edit the site, and a volunteer to lead
the effort. Committers and non-committers can do this work - although the
non-committers will have to submit patches.

Some background:
An overview of the CMS can be found here: http://www.apache.org/dev/cms
The CMS faq can be found here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#walkthrough
Instructions for building the site are here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/cms/conversion-utilities/cwiki/README.txt

A short summary: the website has been exported from confluence and
converted to markdown <http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/>. The
markdown code will then be converted to HTML and published to the apache
servers.

What I've done so far:
* Set up the path in SVN
* exported the site (more or less)
* spidered the website
* generated markdown from the site.
* borrowed and tweaked template files to generate the main look of the
site.
* ran the build tool to generate html from markdown.

What I think needs remains to be done:
* Edit the markdown files until the generated HTML looks tolerable
* Work with the infrastructure team to get the site regenerated after a
commit.

I *think* that's it. There are 128 or so markdown files to edit, some
(maybe most) are no longer needed and can be archived. I've edited a few of
the pages, and I expect that they'll get easier as we go.

I'll also add instructions on setting up the build environment to the site
directory in SVN to save everyone else some time.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to help,
-mike