openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSSION] JPA 2.1 spec implementation
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 15:08:27 GMT
Hi,
Recently, JSR 338 released the Early Draft Review #2 of the JPA 2.1
specification.  You can access this latest version of the specification via
this URL:

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/edr/jsr338/index2.html

As you'll notice this version of the spec will close for comments tomorrow,
Nov 30.  This date is actually just a formality, since you can submit
comments after this date.  Any such late comments would not be applied to
this particular version of the document, that's all.

Anyway, the review of the specification, although important, is not the
point of this message.  The point of this message is to gauge the community
interest in this updated version of the JPA 2.1 specification.  As we
experienced with the JPA 2.0 delivery, the implementation of a new
specification takes a lot of effort.  And, although our user community for
OpenJPA continues to grow and expand, the development community has not had
the same luxury.  We do still have a core group of developers that are
heavily engaged in day-to-day activities with OpenJPA (forums, fixes,
performance features, doc updates, tooling, release mgmt, etc).  But, we
will need even more assistance when we take on the development of JPA 2.1.

As a little background for those of you new to the project (since JPA 2.0),
at this point in the development of the JPA 2.0 specification, our OpenJPA
team was already deep into the implementation of the early drafts of that
specification.  Of course, the RI was the first implementation of JPA 2.0
after the spec finalized, but OpenJPA 2.0 was a very close second (within
weeks of the spec going final).  We were all very proud of that
accomplishment.

JPA 2.1 is targeted for an early 2013 final specification.  The point of
this note is to gauge the community interest in this new specification, and
to gauge the interest of the development community to aid with the
implementation and testing of this specification.

Thank you for all of your contributions!

Kevin

P.S.  Here are some cliff notes for the highlights in the JPA 2.1
specification (some of which are already provided by OpenJPA in one form or
another):
o  Formal Stored Procedure support
o  SynchronizationType to control when to enlist with transaction
o  CDI support for Entity Listeners
o  Type Conversions (similar to OpenJPA's Externalizer)
o  Further explanation of how to return managed and unmanaged data from
NativeQueries
o  JPQL updates
o  Support for TREAT (downcasting)
o  Criteria API refactoring (hopefully just internal impacts)
o  Allow use of packaged scripts:  ddl-create-script, ddl-drop-script,
ddl-load-script
o  Schema generation (similar to OpenJPA's capability)
o  Annotation updates:  @Converter, @ForeignKey, @Index