openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Pinaki Poddar <ppod...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Experimenting with MS SQL Azure federations
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 19:41:04 GMT
Hi,
  I liked your concise description of Slice -- a more verbose description is
available at [1].

Slice is designed to handle federation at JPA/application layer and via
Slice it is possible to support a multi-tenant environment using a set of
databases that are *not* federated by themselves. In fact, Slice can work
with the databases that are heterogeneous as well.

For Azure or other federated databases, the relevance of Slice is diminished
as sharding concerns are handled by database server itself. From a JPA
application standpoint, it will see a federated database as a "single"
database.

So effectively, I see Slice and federated database as an either-or option,
depending upon the design decision of which layer (database or JPA) is
better suited to handle sharding. However, Slice does provide some extra
features such as @Replicated types for master or reference data or query
targeting.

I would like to know from your experience with federated databases, how
these features are supported by Azure.

Regards --

-----
Pinaki Poddar